To be or not to be a Pencil Nazi...

"Pencil only."

Two words I have said, been told, and heard others say repeatedly throughout my life as a student and a teacher. In Math class especially, you use pencil. Pen is not acceptable. Nope, no markers either. Colored pencils? You've crossed the line.


The problem is, I cannot decide where I stand on this issue. I have heard some arguments, valid ones, from either side of this debate, but I'm still a total swayer when it comes to the Pencil v. Pen debate.

This past year I have even gone through a bit of a roller coaster on this issue. I started the year off with, "No pens! Only pencils allowed!" Then, after a few months of having a significant number of students each day without pencils and having gone through my stash of 50+ pencils to give to kids it became, "You must give me collateral in order to borrow a pencil!" (Turns out collateral for a 13-year-old often involves a shoe). When I was tired of the ever growing pile of Jordan's on my desk, I switched to "Fine! You may use a pen, but your work must be neat! No scratch outs!" I thought, sure this will teach them! They'll learn on their own that a pen is not an effective tool for work which breeds mistakes and backtracking...But, of course, they continued to use pen and scratch mistakes out anyway, so now my rule is a very strict "Bleh, whatever, just turn it in."

I've questioned myself on the pencil stance: Is this a rule I'm enforcing simply because it's the norm? Do they really need to use a pencil in order to be successful?

Yes and no.

I have a few students who are a mobile Office Depot; meaning that they have with them, at all times, no less than 30 colored pens, highlighters galore, stickies of all sizes and white out. They label and color-code absolutely everything and if when they make a mistake, they white it out as if it never happened. These are the students that spit in the face of the Pencil Nazi.

Here's what I know...

  1. Neat, organized work is important. Especially when doing multi-step, complex problems.
  2. Scratching work out directly competes with neatness. 
  3. Sharpies, just, no.
So what is the solution?

I don't want to devalue the hard work a student has done by returning or not accepting the work simply because of scratches, but I want to encourage neatness and organization. 
I also don't want to continue to go through 100+ pencils in giveaways each year.
Is this just something I need to let go? 

Where do you stand on the pencil debate? What do you do if kids come to class without a pencil?

UPDATE: MARCH 28, 2015
I found a semi-solution that has definitely been working. It is so simple, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not having thought of this. The solution? Do not provide them with a pencil.

Now when students ask me if I have a pencil for them, my response is simply, "Nope."

And guess what?! They manage to find a pencil!!

Such a simple thing, tapping into students' resourcefulness. When they know that I am not going to provide a pencil for them, they look more thoroughly through their materials, ask one of the 25 other kids in class, etc. Point is, they get their pencil.

Now to find a way to get them to bring a pencil in the first place...

No comments on "To be or not to be a Pencil Nazi..."

Leave a Reply